Skip to main content

A very early morning



A few years ago, Nick and I attended the Anzac day dawn service in the city with a few friends. It was an amazing experience, standing there in complete silence with thousands of other people, paying our respects to those who have fought in war (you don't necessarily have to agree with the war itself to be thankful to those who have fought). Since then we vowed to make it an annual tradition in the Dower household.

When we moved to the suburbs last year we went to the local dawn service, which in many respects is actually nicer. My favourite part is the march around the block with all the diggers, but anyone is welcome to march at the end, and many of the local children do.

So it was important to Nick and I to take Ollie to his first dawn service. But it was a bit of a daunting prospect, given how cool it has been lately and not making Ollie too cranky by waking him up. I worked out that I would need to wake him up at 3.30am. The obliging little fellow that he is decided to wake up for his overnight feed at 3.26am. Total fluke but amazing timing. We rugged him up and I strapped him to me in the sling (see the piccy) where he slept throughout the entire service - not that surprising really given he would be asleep at that time if he were home. I had to really rug him up toward the end of the service when you could feel the temperature dropping. We finished off the rest of the day eating way too many of the Anzac bikkies I baked. I know the service itself was lost on him but we are glad we took him along to his first of many dawn services. Hopefully when he is a bit older he can proudly join the march around the block too.

In other news, HE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!! We had a big day yesterday trekking down to Ikea to get some rugs to warm our freezing little house and having Aunty Em over for dinner. So Ollie must have been really tired. He went down to sleep around 6pm but grizzled for a good hour or so. I went to bed around 10pm just waiting for my call from Ollie for a feed. But it didn't happen. I woke for the first time around 3.30am (meaning I had a good 5 hours of unbroken sleep - bliss). I went and checked on the little man and he was fine. I presumed he would be calling out soon so I just lightly dozed until about 6.30 when I kicked Nick out of bed to go and wake him up. I suspect he would have slept through till at least 7 otherwise, but after not feeding him for 12 hours, I really needed him to wake up.

I'm not holding my breath that it will happen again tonight. But it certainly gives me something to talk about in mother's group today.

As I'm writing this, Ollie is sitting next to me in his rocker and he is making the most beautiful noises. He has been doing a bit of talking for a while now but the sounds he is making are a lot more sing song and louder than I've heard before. Extremely cute stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor