Skip to main content

Cos we are living in a material world...





It has been a week of new purchases in the Dower household.

As Ollie is nearing the six month mark when he will start eating solids (or mushies as they should really be called), we thought it was time to get ourselves a highchair. You'd be surprised at how many different kinds you can get and after lots of research I worked out exactly which one I wanted. So of course, that was the one that had just been discontinued!! Anyway, we bought a similar one and it got delivered to our house ... in pieces.

I couldn't wait for Nick to come home to put it together so I gave it a crack and after managing to find a screwdriver (the most challenging part of the process) I successfully negotiated the instructions until the object before me resembled the one on the box. Ollie and I both held our breath the first time I put him in it, but it held his weight (not an insignificant amount).

Ollie seems to like his highchair for reasonable periods of time and I have found it a godsend as it enables me to get things done in the kitchen when he is awake. He happily sits there banging away at his toys and hopefully by familiarising him with the chair, it won't be such a big deal when he moves onto food.

Another purchase of late is his activity centre. This is a circular play unit that allows him to stand up so it is good for his noggin. It has a little car that he pushes around the track as well as other objects to push, pull, chew, bash etc. He especially loves this toy as at the moment, nothing is better than standing. Anytime you let him stand up he goes and gets all vocal. It is as if he is saying "LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT WHAT A BIG BOY I AM!!!".

Speaking of, well Ollie speaking, he has another new noise which can only be described as a really high pitched squeal. It is actually quite an awful noise and his favourite time to knock it out is if I am sitting down in a cafe or similar. Everyone in the place turns around to look and see what I am doing to this poor child. Someone even said they thought the toy he was playing was making all that noise.

Lastly, I mentioned a few weeks ago that he had made some headway into rolling. There hasn't been much progress on this other than the occasional roll onto his side but no sign of a full 180 roll. Well yesterday he impressed me by rolling onto his back from laying on his tummy. I thought I'd check to see whether it was a fluke or not but he managed to do it another 5 or so times. Not sure whether this is because he likes rolling now or perhaps more that he hates laying on his stomach and will do anything to get out of it.

Oops, forgot to mention the last photo I have posted. We had baby group at our place today and even with two babies and mummies missing, it was a LOT of babies in one lounge room. I took a pic so you can see how much bigger the babies have all gotten since the photo I posted back in March/April. In keeping with that original photo Ollie had yet again managed to spew all down his shirt just before the photo was taken!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor