Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day!






This weekend we had two very special events in the Dower household. The first was Ollie's four month birthday and the second of course, was my first Mother's day.

Nick really did a great job of ensuring I had a fabulous Mother's day. I actually got my proper present the other week which was a new ipod which means I can access the net and email when I am feeding Ollie in his room as well as play some pretty cool games and watch movies/tv shows. But today I got another wonderful present which was an album that Nick had put together of the progress of my pregnancy with Ollie including pics of my tummy and excerpts from the diary I kept throughout. It is a bit of a work in progress with plenty of room to add more pics but it was a wonderfully thoughtful present and it made me cry with happiness when I went through it.

We celebrated the rest of the day with a festival of food. Starting first with delicious homemade pancakes and double chocolate ice cream (the fat free ice-cream I bought was deemed inappropriate so Nick went and bought the most fattening stuff on the market). We followed that up with Ollie's first visit to Superbowl in the Valley. For anyone who we haven't dragged along, we have been visiting this restaurant for over a decade (well I have anyway) and we have had lots of silly drunken nights there with many good friends - oh, and the food is alright too. I've included a few pics of Ollie at his first visit. He was on his best behaviour and slept through the meal. And no, in case you were wondering, we didn't make him steal an onion.

Ollie topped off the day with my favourite present of all, a big fit of giggles just before bathtime. It was one of the first times Nick had heard his proper giggles and we both just stood there in absolute rapture.

It is hard to believe that Ollie is 1/3 of a year old and it has given me cause to reflect upon that time (if you are sick of reading, don't feel compelled as this is quite a diatribe).

The last few months have gone so quickly but it also feels like Ollie has been a part of our life forever. Being his mum and looking after him is the toughest job I have ever had. The hours are definitely the longest (i.e. 24 hours a day), there is no rec or sick leave, the pay is pathetic and my boss (Ollie) screams at me more than all but one of the bosses I have had.

But it is definitely the most rewarding job there is around. The highlight of my working day is a few smiles or some giggles or whatever new trick he has learnt that week.

Becoming a parent gives you a whole new appreciation for what your own parents went through. You might be all grown up now with a responsible job etc. but nothing changes the fact that your mum still wiped your bum a million times and got the snot out of your nose!!

The worst things I've experienced in this motherhood gig:
- the early days of sleep deprivation
- checking he is okay every five minutes when he sleeps
- that he doesn't care if you are feeling tired/sick/a bit over it

The best things:
- everything else!!
- especially the lovely little moments when he looks up at me and smiles like I am the whole world.

These are the things I do that make me realise that I am now a mum:
- sing silly songs throughout our grocery shop to keep him happy not even caring if all the other customers think I have lost it
- hold out my hand to catch his spew (gross!)
- sniff his nappy to see if he needs changing
- even worse, stick my hand into his nappy in the middle of night in darkness to see if he needs changing (potentially very disgusting)
- carry four nappies, a teddy bear and a novelty set of teething car keys in my handbag at all times (and the rest of it).

So to all the mums, Happy Mother's Day!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor