Skip to main content

It's a ...


Well last week we finally had our big scan for Dower baby #2. The main purpose of the scan is to check all of the baby's measurements, organs etc to make sure that everything is as it should be. Thankfully for us everything was absolutely perfect. The other exciting thing about this scan is it is when they can tell you the sex of the baby, if you want to know. Of course, we definitely wanted to know. We found out with Ollie and were really glad that we did - it is still a surprise, just a little bit earlier. I was 100% convinced that we were having a little boy while Nick thought we were having a girl. However he did change his mind on that when the technician asked what we thought we were having. Turns out that wasn't a smart move as we ARE HAVING A GIRL!!!!!!!! Have a look at how beautiful she is...


Mind you I'm still not convinced that it isn't a boy but Nick keeps pointing out that not one, but two technicians looked at it and told us it was a girl. But if it does turn out to be another boy he may find himself dressed in some pretty little outfits as I will not be able to resist buying a few gorgeous things for our lovely little girl to wear. I may have even hit the shops the day after the scan just to see what pretty stuff is out there. Turns out there is a lot. It was a great feeling to be able to cross to the girly side of the kids shops - an area I normally try to avoid so as not to be disappointed by the great range of girl stuff in contrast to the slim pickings on the boy side. I did manage to restrain myself though as this baby will be born in winter so won't really get to wear too much gorgeous stuff until she is about 5 months old when it heats up. But then all bets are off - and the sewing machine will be coming out too. Think of the patterns for pretty little sundresses and romper suits...


More baby girl. Dainty little hands. But knowing that we are having a little girl has caused me to start thinking about all kinds of issues I have never worried about with Ollie. Like what if she is as naughty as I was? How mean girls can be to each other. What will she look like? What if she looks exactly like Nick!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love my husband but can you imagine him as a girl (for those who went to his 21st it won't be hard to imagine). At least that way I won't have to worry about boys taking her out, she'll be perfectly capable of sorting herself out what with those strapping big shoulders!

In preparation for the baby we took the step of getting Ollie his very own baby dolly. He thinks it is awesome and has had a great time feeding her bottles, dummies, making her go to the potty and undressing her. Apparently this worked for my older sister in anticipation of me coming along (Al, Damien Luther, creepy little dolly he was). But all of these activities require me to help Ollie and I am wondering if I am now going to find myself looking after the new baby, Ollie AND a baby dolly. Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon.


The weather here has been pretty woeful, well only on the weekends. During the week it is perfectly sunny and very hot but last weekend it was positively wintery and rainy. There was nothing else for it but lots of lazing around and eating. Sunday was especially sloth-like with a big batch of pancakes with berries and ice-cream for breakfast (which is starting to become a bit of a tradition around here - not a very healthy one either). We then followed it up with a trip to the video store where Ollie chose his very first DVD rental - Toy Story 3 - declaring as he picked the case up off the shelf "I LOVE this one". And he did. We set up the lounge room with lots of cushions and blankets and made a big bowl of popcorn and all settled in together. Nick and I were amazed that Ollie sat through the entire movie in one hit. He actually got really upset when it finished, declaring that he wanted more. It was a great movie and Nick and I thoroughly enjoyed it too so all in all it was a great way to get through a miserable rainy afternoon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor