Skip to main content

We heart books

It fills my heart with such joy that Ollie loves books more than pretty much everything else. This has been made pretty clear to me this week when:

- he refused to leave daycare because he hadn't finished 'reading' a book
- we caught him reading books in bed when he was meant to be going to have a nap
- he took great delight in following along at just the right pages to a Toy Story book on CD that Aunty Hayley and Uncle Simon gave him
- he continued to try to negotiate for an extra book each night at bedtime.


O continues to exert his two year old influence around the place. This week has seen a little bit of tantrum throwing. I really thought we were immune to this since every other two year old we know has been doing it for quite some time. But alas, I was wrong. Perhaps O is just a late bloomer in the tantrum stakes? The finest example of this was when I went along to a morning tea at daycare on a non-Ollie daycare day. Which meant that when the morning tea was over it was time for Ollie to leave along with me. He was not a fan of this idea at all and stacked on a massive turn, laying on the floor and squealing and then repeating the same in the carpark. I'm sure I must have looked like quite a sight with my giant pregnant belly and carting a a wriggling and crying toddler under my arm out to the car. The sooking continued all the way home and was only quelled with some quiet time flicking through some of his favourite books.

The morning tea was in honour of Red Nose Day, which explains the cute little red nose and cheeks that O is sporting in these photos. I think he looked more like a sad little reindeer to be honest. We went to the morning tea after our dancing lesson, which if I'm to be critical, involves more of Ollie just running around the dance studio than anything that vaguely resembles dancing. The parent participate side of things is wearing a little thin with me too. I'm sure under normal circumstances I'd be up for it but I have to admit that I'm hardly at my most graceful at the moment and when Ollie and I have to gallop up and down the length of the studio like a pony I'm pretty sure I look more like some kind hippo or baby elephant. Perhaps it might be time to shelve the dance class until after the baby?

Saturday saw us at Nanna Carmel's house with the family as Grandpa Rob is back in the country. Ollie was more than happy to monopolise his time insisting that he read almost all of the books to him at least once. The only reprieve he gave Rob was when he got him to change the batteries in the Puss in Boots toy so that it now not only wolf whistles at you, but it also makes lewd and suggestive comments. Got to love that Puss in Boots - well at least Ollie does.

And just to round out the week, Ollie and I went to a parenting expo - not because I necessarily think I need to brush up on my skills but because we needed to buy a big boy booster seat and there was heaps of free entertainment on offer. We had a great time watching Dorothy the Dinosaur, although Ollie was terrified of the Fairy who came walking through the crowd and he hid behind his hands until she went away. We followed this up with some playing on some gym equipment and computers, but the best bit for sure was the petting zoo. There were way way too many tiny little goats, chickens, ducks and the fluffiest afro haired alpaca you have ever seen, crammed into a tiny little enclosure. I actually thought Ollie would freak out but he seemed to love it, chasing all the poor terrified little animals around and patting them ever so gently.
And here is a pic of some early morning duplo building going on. It has definitely become something of a Sunday tradition around here. I never know exactly what type of construction I am going to find when I wake up.


Apologies for the late blog this week. I've been pretty busy getting up and running my little project on the side. Since I'm now a stay at home mum and have nothing better to do (except look after a toddler and soon a newborn) I've set up a creative little venture to keep myself occupied. Check it out for yourselves at madeit.com.au/MiniMayhem. I'm in the process of putting a facebook page together for it as well so for those of you who inhabit the world of fakebook, please stop by sometime and "like" the page for me. Hope you all enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor