Skip to main content

Tired. Lazy. Just plain over it.

The title of this week's blog offers a number of excuses for not bothering to put a blog out last week. And given that I am having a baby next week I can't imagine anyone is going to be too critical of me. It certainly has gotten significantly tougher in the last week just to be me - especially chasing an energetic toddler around as well. Sleep is pretty sketchy at the moment for me so I'm not so secretly hoping that instead of flowers (which, lets be honest are a pretty big waste of money anyway, unless they are made out of chocolate!) people send me to the hospital baskets of things like YSL's Touche Eclat and other miracle potions which will cover the massive dark circles that have settled permanently in under my eyes!


One thing I can't complain about though is how wonderful Nick has been lately. He is totally encouraging me to be the laziest housewife in the world and has taught Ollie to tell me to "take it easy mummy". Ollie has embraced this quite well as both his and Nick's suggestion for me taking it easy is to let let Ollie watch TV or a movie!!

So in keeping with the theme of me doing as little as possible and taking it easy, this week's blog will be brought to you through the miracle of bullet points of some of the lovelier, funnier and more entertaining moments over the past two weeks:

- we have had an ongoing battle over the word "path". Thanks to American TV Ollie started saying "path" (like rhyming with math) vs. the australian/english "par-th". He has improved thanks to my nagging but now his "par-th" sounds really plummy in the mouth. Too cute.

- on the subject of paths, he is always asking "which path are we taking mummy?" for which direction are we going to go. He proved that his sense of direction has been inherited from Nick rather than me when we got to the intersection on our street and he said "that path is the park, that path is the bicky-man shop (the bakery) and that path is daddy's train". And he was spot on. Nick and I were totally impressed.

- he explained to me over dinner the other night that he didn't want to eat the yucky bits, only the tasty bits.

- speaking of food, we've been hitting my favourite local casual dining establishment a fair bit lately. Ollie and I go there after the library for cinos and sweet treats but we thought we should introduce Nick to it so we all enjoyed a lovely Sunday morning brekky. It was sensational. As was the lunch that Ollie and I had there yesterday (killing time while the cleaner was at our place). It is a lebanese place so we shared a plate of koftas and other meaty delights, breads, tabouleh etc. Ollie was quite the trooper and ate pretty much everything except the tabouleh. We then rounded this eating experience off with leftover thai massaman curry for dinner. Thank goodness he is such a good little eater.

- Obear also went up to the next room at daycare. This is kind of a big deal. It also means that there isn't the same level of babying over things like naps and the like. So day naps at daycare have been a bit hit and miss. I've taken to bribing him each day with promises of "baths with the squeaky pelican (fave bath toy)" and my especially dodgy bribe of sweet biscuits in the car on the way home. Dynamite parenting but if it works, I'm happy with it.


- cute things Ollie has been saying lately -
- since Nick and I take turns to read to him each night he has started asking "guys, which person is going to read to me". Is too cute.
- after (accidentally) hitting me in the eye with a comb he asked me if I needed a patch - like a pirate. Nick and I were totally losing it with laughter over that one.
- "my ears need cleaning" - just like his father he is obsessed with personal hygiene. Not a bad thing but I refuse to clean in his ears every single night, despite his requests.

- future rock star Ollie totally rocking out over his dinner. Yes he is still wearing a pelican bib but if you saw the amount of food it catches each night you would totally agree with my decision to make him wear it.

- I couldn't resist adding this pic of the sleepy cranky boy that I encounter each day after his nap. It takes him a while to wake up and in the process he will often find somewhere quiet to plonk himself.
- Ollie's favourite show at the moment is "Bookaboo" - a show developed by Meatloaf (seriously) about a puppet dog rockstar who won't perform until he is read a story each day. O's fave part is at the end when Bookaboo goes on stage and plays the drums. He has been pretending to drum for a while now but today figured out that the candles on the dining table would make fabulous substitutes. As you can see they didn't fair well and it looks like I might need to pick some replacements up. But he had a great time drumming.
A massive thanks goes out to Nanna Carmel for looking after Ollie on Sunday while Nick and I went out to lunch with some friends. The plan was always to take Ollie (and the ipad!) but it just occurred to me that Ollie, Carmel, Nick and I would all enjoy this arrangement better. And I was right. We enjoyed a very leisurely and long lunch while Ollie and Carmel had a lovely time at her place. Even more so when all of the aunties and uncles came over for a play as well. He particularly seemed to enjoy playing with his uncle Simon, but it seems they did come to a disagreement over the football that was on at the time - Lions v Cats. Simon egged Ollie on by saying "go Lions" but true to form Ollie was calling back at him "no, go Cats". The scoreboard did the talking in the end. Go Ollie!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor