Skip to main content

Poor little petal


Poor little Evie Peevey is sick.  We have all been passing this cold around for a while but Eve seems to have inherited all of our colds put together.  I guess we are lucky that we have been able to get her to almost 10 months (eek!) without a good cold but this one is certainly making up for lost time.

She just looks so miserable with her tired little eyes, super snuffly runny nose and yucky little cough.  When the cold started she thought it was quite a novelty to take panadol and have her nose wiped (or worse, suctioned!) but by now she has clearly had enough and is making it as difficult as she can for me.

Something else she is making difficult is sleep.  Her runny/snuffly nose keeps waking her up which in turn wakes us all up.  I've even been breaking my number one rule about getting babies out of their cots in the middle of the night.  At least three nights in the last week have seen her sleeping on me in the nursing chair as well.  Two of those nights also saw her and I sleeping on the floor together beside her cot.  I'm not sure why, it just seemed like a good idea in that sleep deprived haze.  And it kept her quiet.

The worst night was probably the one where I was in and out of the bed, floor and nursing chair AS WELL as into Ollie's room twice.  That one was appalling and it had to be the night before I had a market to do.  I spent the whole day in a slow motion zombie like state, just wishing each minute would pass so I could get home.

But enough whinging.  I'd like to say she is on the mend but she seems sick again today.  Hopefully this is the tail end of it and she will be back to her bright bubbly self again soon.


In Ol news, he thinks everything is a race.  He just loves to run absolutely everywhere which has seen him take more than his fair share of tumbles, including a cracker into a brick wall at playgroup the other day but surprisingly no damage.  But these don't slow him down.  He is still pushing past me declaring that he wants to be the leader or demanding that I call out "ready set go".  In fact that is the only way I can get him down to the bathroom to clean his teeth each morning!

But not everything is a race apparently.  Ol is an incredibly slow eater at dinnertime.  Most nights see me directing him to eat every single mouthful of food at the same time as I am feeding Eve.  But I thought I might stir his competitive instincts and point out that Evie had nearly finished her dinner and was going to win.  Well, of course Ol looks straight at me and with his most mummy/teacher voice said "mummy, this isn't a race".  Hmm, totally foiled.

Also in the eating stakes, Miss Evie has taken a quantum leap in what she will eat lately.  She and Ol are basically eating the same meals which makes my life easier.  And sometimes the same quantities!!  She is also taking great delight in feeding herself things like vegemite sandwiches and arrowroot biscuits.  The downside to this is she makes an almighty incredible mess.  I feel like I am constantly picking up half-chewed food from the floor.  Such a glamorous life I lead.


Evie also seems to be developing her crawling style a little.  I had thought perhaps that was just how it was going to be but in the last week she has really started to get up onto her knees and rock around.  Watch this space for an update on fully fledged official crawling.  And her other new trick is shaking her head "no".  I actually think she might be dancing more than saying no but it makes for a lot of fun asking her silly questions for her to say no to!


Ollie has been a bit darn cute lately too.  Well when he isn't being a terror.  He has said some hilarious things that I just have to write down:

"Does electricity have flying orcas in it that make it work?.  Are they on land that keeps them in the roof?"

"Where does daddy work? We are going to see daddy's building on the weekend.  Actually it isn't daddy's building it is everyone's building.  Because you didn't build it mummy.  Because you aren't the greatest builder.  And Evie isn't the greatest builder.  But she can be when she is grown up".

It is more like a monologue than a conversation with O at the moment!!!

And my loveliest Ol moment?  Early the other morning (about 5ish) I heard quiet talking coming from his room so I went in and saw him sitting on his bed making shadow puppets on the wall from the light of his clock.  My first instinct was to tell him to lay down and go back to sleep but I couldn't escape the loveliness of it all.  So I plonked down beside him and showed him how to make some different animals and we had a great time making them together.



Ol, Evie and I made an impromptu visit to see Tim at the State Library the other day and as always it was awesome.  Ol was practically jumping out of his skin with excitement and even more so when he got to build blocks with Tim for a while before the rhymes.  He didn't shut up (not that he ever does) - telling him about daddy's big building and how it doesn't have lifts and how Ollie is really strong and has really big muscles (cue muscle flexing).  It was super adorable to watch.

When the rhymes started Ol was the first one on the dancefloor rocking it out.  Which is weird because at the little library he won't dance, instead sitting on the ground in the midst of many dancing tots.  But rock out he did.  Although we didn't make it to the end as Ol declared to Tim, who then declared to everyone else that Ollie had had enough of the songs.  Tim did suggest that they just all pack up and go and have a coffee but in the end I thought it probably easier if I just took my two to have a picnic lunch on the grass.  A very successful outing with just the three of us.  Especially since they both fell asleep in the car on the way home.


For those of you who are able to access video, here is a cute one of Ol busting a few moves. Enjoy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor