Skip to main content

Half a decade. How did that happen??




Five years old.  How did that possibly happen??

I remember clearly the moment they handed me this beautiful tiny perfect little creature (with giant feet).  It was then that my entire world changed.  Everything I did before that second meant practically nothing now that I had this completely dependent little guy in my world.

And in usual fashion I want to share with you some of things that are rocking my world about this little fellow this year.

- you shout "dinnertime" when Peppa Pig comes on TV at 5.10.

- you can't wait to be married.  You often talk about your future wife and your 'boy' and how I will be his nanna.

- you can porpoise dive to the bottom of our deep pool at home but you still get scared of the pool you can stand up in at swimming lessons.

- you will NEVER need amplification.  Microphones are redundant around you.

- you are turning into quite the little artist and you are so prolific that I can hardly keep up with all of your work.  But I especially love the drawings you do of us with an invisible string connecting our hearts.

- you get cranky when people laugh at you.

- your beautiful face lights up like a Christmas tree and you break out in the biggest smile when you spot me in a crowd.

- you can swing all by yourself now.

- you still love to rock out to Time singing 'Miss Polly' (a 1, 2, 3…)

- you LOVE to dance.  You've got some moves I could only dream of.  It is an absolute delight to watch you dance with reckless abandon.

- you feel the need to have the entire household awake if you are awake.  Including your poor sister who is on the bunk below you.

- you are so gentle with little kids.  You call them 'little fella' and use the softest kindest voice and hands.  If only you could be the same to your sister…

- you still love books.  We read lots of them every day and sometimes they are the only thing that will calm your wild nature.  You even wake your poor sister many mornings when it is still dark to get her to fetch you a book to read on your top bunk.

This year you went on super scary waterslides in Bali.  By yourself.  Head first!! We patted elephants.  You got to be a ring bearer boy (even if you were too scared to walk down the aisle without holding my hand).

I left you for nights with other people and you were super fine. You don't need me every second of every day anymore.  But you still need me.  You might look like a big boy on the outside, but when things go against you or you hurt yourself, only a mummy's cuddles will make it better.

… You were so tiny.  I blinked and now you are turning five.  How can that be?

Big school is but a few weeks away.  We went and bought your school shoes today.  They are size 1.  SIZE ONE!!! You are a giant.  I was worried that they would be too big but instead of tripping over them you skipped back to me and did a little dance with that big silly smiley grin on your face.

Never has another single person on the face of this planet driven me as bonkers as you do.  You bring out the worst in me sometimes.  I wish I had more patience for your crazy antics.  But thankfully you are learning the things to say and do to save yourself from being listed on EBay.  You love to play babies and have me rock you and give you kisses.  You love to cuddle me and call me "mama".  And you tell me I am beautiful.  A sure fire way to any girl's heart.

You are my boy.  You will always be my first.  You are the one who made me into a mummy.  I adore you.  Thank you for changing my life for the absolute best.  I will always love you.  And I promise never to list you on EBay.

xx


* and in another tradition, here is a photo from each of the past twelve months.  Look at you grow!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor