Skip to main content

Ollie's sixth birthday science party

By now you all know that I go a tad bonkers for the kid's birthday parties.  I've given up apologising for this, I can't help it, it makes me happy and my kids happy so we've made our peace with it!

Ol decided he wanted to have a science themed birthday party for his sixth birthday after they had a science morning at school.  Our little guy loves experiments so I was mad keen but I just couldn't justify the pricey packages offered by local science party entertainers.  Never one to shy away from a DIY party I was pretty sure I could just buy a jumbo bottle of hydrogen peroxide and keep the kiddos amazed by myself. 

The cake was a science experiment in itself.  With gravity defying beakers of green and blue slime oozing down onto the cake, a Katherine Sabbath inspired chocolate bark explosion in the background and lots of bubbling goodness, I think I kept it pretty simple...




I applied a liberal dose of green across the party as it is Ol's favourite colour and naturally it is the colour of the grossest of the science experiments, SLIME!

Party bags weren't too over the top with just popping candy and a bubblegum eyeball as well as a balloon and a spinning top.  The best bit was a little book of science experiments I put together so the guests could recreate the fun when they got home.


 I tried to be as organised as I could with the experiments before the party kicked off because I knew that once I had a house of screaming kids it would be hard get it all organised.  Our fizzy balloons (see recipe below) were all set up and put out of harms way before the party started.  I also had liquids measured out in plastic beakers so they were ready to rock with each experiment.  I thought I had it all completely under control but in the madness I forgot to get the yeast for the elephant's toothpaste out of the freezer.  Thankfully the kids were too hyped to notice my quick sprint back into the house.

When it was time for our guests to arrive they found a lab coat, safety goggles and identification tags all laid out waiting for them.  The goggles and the ID might have been designed to make our guests look gorgeous in the photos (and they did!) but the lab coats were a complete necessity.  I couldn't quite believe how incredibly filthy they managed to get.



Once kitted out in their laboratory gear the kiddos hung out on the rug playing "make a molecule", which involved them making sculptures out of styrofoam balls and toothpicks.  My original plan was to use grapes but our practice run with these resulted in some seriously sticky fingers.  When you're having a science experiment party you've got to try and minimise some mess if possible.



 Soon it was time for the real fun - the experiments!

First up was ELEPHANT'S TOOTHPASTE...


FIZZY BALLOONS...


SLIME..

This was the best. Not only did it feel squishingly amazing, but the kiddos got to make something to take home with them as well.


and we finished off with our very own VOLCANO!!!!

This was only a few seconds of fun on the day but we got a fair bit of value out of making the paper mache volcano in the days leading up to the party.  Can you say school holiday project??


So much fun was had.  The kids loved having some real hands on silliness. Was it over the top messiness?  Hell yes!!!  I just wish we had a backyard at the time so we could have set off a bunch of diet coke and mentor geysers!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor