Skip to main content

The birthday blog: our boy is six!



Six whole years have passed now since the doctor handed me that teeny tiny perfect little human.  I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do with you.  I had no real experience in looking after babies or children and barely even any that counted in pet ownership (hello, Gus anyone???).

But we found our way.  We figured it out and the years have flown by.  So let me tell you a few of the things I love about this past year.

- you had your first year of school.  You not only survived prep but you rocked it!  You made so many  lovely new friends, both boys and girls, and your teacher thought you were really well behaved and a good listener.  Well played!

- you can read.  Like really read. You can pick up normal books from your shelves and read them.  You read signs we drive past and things that are written on the television.  I can no longer spell things out to your father in the hope of sneaking them past you!

- you are kind to girls.  I hear stories of you telling the girls at school that they look beautiful when they are playing dress ups.  You can be so kind and gentle to Eve and you tell her you love her every night before bed.

- you still have a day sleep on the weekend and on school holidays.  I am ridiculously thankful for this one as it helps me to maintain a degree of sanity.

- you can play big boy video games now.  You have been hooked on Super Mario on DS for a while now and since Santa brought you Skylanders you have been hard to tear away from it.  I am completely fine with this because I LOVE to play the games with you.  You think I am totally cool because I can get us past the tricky levels.

- you have had friends stay over for sleepovers.  There may have possibly been threats to call their parents and send them home but in the end everyone had a great time and no one had to leave early.

- you have had two trips away to the beach house with Nanna and Grandpa.  We miss you terribly when you go but the photos of you paddle boarding and playing at the beach together with the two second long phone calls tell us that you don't miss us much at all!

- you use big words in the right context.  Sometimes we are floored by the adult concepts that you grasp.

- you swim like a fish.  Recently you've learned to do butterfly kick which I can't even do.  It makes me value even more the many thousands of dollars we have spent on swimming lessons!

- you still like me to rock you like a baby (sometimes).  You say "mama" and ask me to sing "rock a bye baby" while you pretend to suck your thumb.

- Stanley the dog is still a big part of your life and you can't go to sleep without him in your arms.

- you are scared of the dark.  Sometimes.  Mainly when it suits your needs.  The rest of the time you are completely fine with it.

- you love to draw.  You always tell me that you are "doing the details".  This makes my heart sing.

- you can recount the plots of movies in ridiculously vivid detail.  I swear that you have watched (and stayed awake during) more movies than I have seen in my life.  You are a true movie buff.

- you still think ABC2 is the best TV station around.  While your friends might be watching the big boy channels you can't decide whether your favourite show is "Peter Rabbit" or "Ben and Holly's little kingdom".

- you refuse to watch the girly movies Eve wants to watch but within five minutes of them starting you are always to be found staring intently at the screen.

- your love of raw salmon sushi has hit new levels.  You ask for it at every possible opportunity and when you do eat it you always save a 'reserve piece' of it so it is the last thing you eat.

- you are still the loudest person I know.  Even louder than your Aunty Alicia.  This trait is now rubbing off on Eve which means that I often find myself being shouted at by two small people.

- you worry.  You are always thinking ahead about what might happen.  I spend my days telling you to enjoy what you are doing and not worry what might happen next.  Then I worry myself.

- you still think I'm pretty awesome.  Even when I'm cranky.  You tell me unsolicited "I love yous" which are the best ones of all.  When I get dressed up to go out you tell me I look beautiful, or even better, "like Princess Elsa".

- you are not too cool to hold my hand or give me kisses and cuddles at school.  You will even call out "I love you" to me in front of your friends.  I suspect this will change this year and soon you will be embarrassed.  I hope not.

We blinked and you are six.  We are scared that if we blink again you will be sixteen and giving us grief with your weird haircut and earrings and asking to borrow the car.

But for now you are still my sweet baby boy.  You are so very much like me that it drives us both bonkers.  Our relationship is half made up of driving each other nuts and half being each other's super special loving little friend.

I cannot remember my life without you in it.  My life since the day you arrived has been exhausting and amazing all at once.  You changed everything in my world.  For the better obviously.  I love you.  I always will.  Even when you don't tell me I look like Princess Elsa.

xx

* in the usual tradition, here is a photo from each of the twelve months of Oliver being five.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor