Skip to main content

Ollie is nine: the birthday blog



A photo from each of the past twelve months.

You are happily sleeping after a first big day of being a nine year old.  In what is a tradition around here, I want to share some of the things that I will always remember about you at this age.

- you still eat like a caveman.  I am constantly telling you that ice-cream/lasagne/custard is not a finger food
- you can be quite the little worrier.  You ask me every single day if I will pick you up from the exact same spot.  I do.  Every, single time.  But still you fret.
- you love Harry Potter even more than last year.  I thought once you'd read all the books it might fade.  It hasn't.  A muggle like me can't possibly understand.
- You struggle to tell a lie without cracking a smile.  You even cover your mouth when you are trying to convince me you are telling the truth.  A classic giveaway.
- You are just the right height that I can put my arms around your shoulders and cuddle you while we walk beside each other.
- You went off raw salmon sashimi for about a fortnight but it's back on the favourites list.  A few new additions like lettuce but the real change is the quantities.  I may not be able to afford to feed you when you become a teenager.
- you don't swear in front of me but I know you do swear.  Once I heard you declare in front of a friend who was at our house that you were "off to have a piss"!
- you have a terrifying angry face.  It is the dirtiest scowl I've ever seen and it totally looks like you've got steam coming out of your ears.
- you are so incredibly kind to small children, apart from you own little sister.  You even asked me if you could have a baby brother for Christmas.  I told you in no uncertain terms that you would most definitely not be getting one.
- you joined a footy team this year and absolutely loved it. To be fair, you spent most of the time on the field giving each other piggy backs and massages but you thought it was pretty awesome to get a shiny trophy.
- you absolutely smashed NAPLAN.  I know it doesn't count and standardised testing and blah blah blah, but I was crazy proud that you scored in those tiny little triangles on the very top of the chart.
- you have a love/hate relationship with Nippers.  You absolutely hate going each week and whinge about it but when you've ridden an awesome wave in on your board, you are absolutely over the moon.
- you still hold my hand at school and give me a big smoochy kiss when we say goodbye.  I love it.
- you've told me that you want to live with me forever.  I've suggested you just get a big house and build me a granny flat but no, you think it would be easier if you just kept living with us.

Nine years ago today, you made me into a mother.  My world was completely tipped on it's end and I probably haven't really relaxed since then.  But for all the sleepless nights, worry and angst, you have brought me the most incredible joy.  Your beautiful big smile makes my heart get that warm, skipping feeling, the sound of your laughter can instantly cheer my darkest mood and your "almost too cool but quietly loving a good snuggle" cuddles remind me that you will always be my baby.

I couldn't be more proud of the person you are becoming and I can't wait to see what you do as you grow up.  But let's not rush it away.  Let's have a few more years where I can sit you on my lap and rock you like the little baby you once were.  Let me keep brushing your messy hair out of your sleepy face in the mornings and gently kissing your cheek and telling you I love you as you sleep at night.

My beautiful baby boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor