Skip to main content

Ollie is 10: the birthday blog


I'm just going to casually mention that when midnight hits tonight I will have been a mother for the past decade.  Um, a decade?! Like TEN WHOLE YEARS??? How can that even be possible? 

While I wrap my head around that crazy concept, let me tell you a few of the things that I will remember about my sweet little Ollie as he turns ten (for the tenth time, as it is a tradition around here!).

Books are still his first love.  He usually leaves the local library with no less than fifteen books which might last him a week at most.  He has also discovered the 'Graphic Novel' section which means he comes home with some pretty cool comics.  Occasionally he will stumble across one he shouldn't, like "Deadpool".  That one got returned pretty quickly!

He reads at a 16+ year old level.  I'm not going to lie, he probably knows words that I don't even know and I'm not that dopey.  This kid is going places.  I'm just trying to make sure those places aren't jail!

It's been a good year for sport.  He backed up with another season of AFL with the same team mates, which is pretty awesome.  Who cares if he only kicked one goal all season.  He loves to play from the middle and be around the contests.  I said around.  Maybe not in.  

He also decided to play Rugby League for school sport, which was a bit of a surprise.  But he loved it because in his own words, "I just love to tackle people to the ground".

He got his first ribbons for school sport in running and swimming.  I don't think he actually cared about winning or not until his sister came home with one the day before.  Nothing like a bit of sibling rivalry to spur you onto greatness. 

We gave up regular needles for his allergies this year. It wasn't planned that way but it just kind of happened.  Thankfully there haven't been any major setbacks but I'm loving not having doctor's appointments each week or fortnight. And he's loving not having needles.

He has gotten really good at catching waves.  He loves to sit there and watch the sets rolling in, just waiting to jump on the perfect one to catch into the shore.  This has helped a lot for Nippers this season.  He has definitely gotten more brave in the Burleigh Surf with boards and swimming on the days when maybe they ask just a teensy bit too much from them. 

He has a crush!!  I'm not allowed to say her name out loud so he has given her a code name which we use to discuss her.  But I just love that he tells me things about her.  

He got six A's on his report card and was one of only three boys in his grade to get an academic medal.  His face when he stood up and received it from the Principal was absolutely priceless. 

Can. Not. Sleep. In.  Every single morning he is to be found in his room at 6am straining to read a book in the breaking morning light.  He has usually been like that for an hour or possibly more. 

But two words - day sleeps.  Yep, we still get them.  Most weekends he is happy to have a snooze for an hour or so in the middle of the day.  Which doesn't actually make up for all of the ridiculously early starts. 

It finally happened.  This was the year that he stopped kissing me goodbye at school.  He will walk in with me and look back and give me a smile and a wave before casually strolling off to his classroom. So naturally I go out of my way to chase him to give him the biggest smooshiest cuddle and kiss and tell him I love him.  Really REALLY loudly. 

He will still hold my hand as we walk down the street in public.  Until he realises that he is doing it.  Then he drops it immediately. Like it is a hot potato. 

But seriously, ten years?  You've swapped your ABC's for the age of criminal responsibility.  As I tucked you into bed I told you that you should go and steal a few cars tonight, but make sure that you get out of them before midnight.  Thankfully you declined. 

I crawled into bed with you and lay my head on your chest to feel your breath and listen to your heartbeat.  I couldn't believe how big and strong you felt underneath me.  No longer do I need to worry about crushing you, for you are nearly the same size as me.  

A decade?!? That is a unit of time that seems so ridiculous, for surely it was just moments since the doctor handed us this tiny screaming smooshy creature (who peed all over the floor three times on the way).  I get glimpses of the teenager who is just peeking around the corner, waiting to roll his eyes at me and tell me I don't understand and that he hates me.  

But beneath that I see the sweet little boy I've been kissing and hugging for the past decade.  The one who will always be my first.  The one who made me into a mother. The one who took my heart and placed it outside of my body.  You tipped my world upside down and I've never been the same again.  And I wouldn't change that for anything.

Please don't ever get too cool to sit on my lap and cuddle me and tell me about your day (or your crush). And I won't ever think you are too cool for me to sneak into your room at night when you sleep to kiss you on the cheek and tell you I love you.

Welcome to double digits little dude.  

xx


Enjoy a photo of this sweet little guy from each month of the past year. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor