Skip to main content

Eve is 9: the birthday blog


Um, nine? Like twelve months until you hit double digits?? Are you serious? It feels literally like five minutes ago that you were the tiny little girl who completed our little family.  The one I had always dreamed of.

To make sure I always remember you at this wonderful age, here are some of the things about you that are special:

- you deconstruct your food.  I've never seen anyone pull apart a sandwich or burger the way you do and eat all of the components individually.  
- you like to torture (or play with) small animals. We jokingly asked you if we would find a collection of dead geckos in your room.  To which you replied "I got rid of them".  You are either going to be a vet or a serial killer.
- you are the stroppiest person I know.  Stubborn doesn't even come close to describe it.  You stomp your foot down like it is your super power.  But each and every time it just makes me laugh. 
- you love your new puppy Taco so much.  You weren't as keen on getting a dog as Ollie but you've risen to the challenge.  Always helping to feed him, clean up after him and saying "awwwwww, look at his squishy little bum".
- you are a little bit fascinated with the concept of boobs. I often catch you looking at them, you think they make a very comfortable pillow, and you're always talking about your own. 
- you love books.  You are working your way through the veritable treasure trove of books that your brother has.  You usually have about eight on the go.  Strewn across your bedroom floor, on the dining room table, tucked under your pillow while you sleep and generally littered around the house.
- at last count you have 826 beautiful freckles on your gorgeous face. 
- you have the best comedic timing of anyone I know.  Sometimes you'll say something at just the right time and Nick and I look at each other with this "did that just happen" look?
- you love your teacher so much.  During covid when you were at school you loved that you didn't have to share her with so many kids.  On the school holidays you kept pointing out people who looked like her and saying how much you wanted to hug them.
- you have the meanest scowl I've ever seen.  But five minutes later you're full of remorse and cuddles for anyone caught in the crossfire.
- last week you brought home a 5 kilogram rock in your school bag that you had found and wanted to keep. A. 5kg. Rock!
- you are one of the few girls in our neighbourhood.  But you are always out on the street, riding your bike, playing in the creek, swimming, kayaking, playing in mud and just being all round awesome having all the fun.  
- you're forever ditching your girly bike (covered in rust from being left in the rain) to ride all the boy's BMX's.  So now you've got a BMX of your own.  With stunt pegs and the most amazing metallic rainbow paint job ever!
- you want someone to sleep in your room every single night. Sometimes you steal Ollie's pillows and blankets and hide them in your room so he has to stay over.
- you are the biggest chatterbox I know.  You can talk for an entire car journey without taking a single breath.
- you are obsessed with your friends.  You still have the same ones you've had for a few years.  You get so upset when one of them doesn't play with you for a few days but every time you kiss and make up and the cuddles are so lovely
- you absolutely love music.  Every time you get into the car you say "I've got two song requests..."

I have never in my life met a more amazing young woman.  I am getting glimpses of the person you are becoming and I am so incredibly impressed.  You are smart.  You are kind.  You are hilarious.  You are a bit bonkers and that is a good thing.  You don't want to be just the same as everyone else and I totally respect that. 

I have no doubt that you will leave a lasting mark on the world.  I haven't quite worked out if that is as the next Mother Teresa or as the next evil dictator. But either way, I'll be there for you. 

I have always dreamed of you.  The little girl I had always wished for. In those moments before you came along I could never have imagined a person who brought all the good bits of Daddy and I together and you have exceeded every single one of our expectations.

You are my little snuggle bunny. The one who will always want to curl up and cuddle me. The one who so gently strokes my hair and tells me she loves me.   Well Snugs, I love you.  You are perfect.  xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor