Skip to main content

The end of an Airer

IMG_1647

In Nick and my old woolstore apartment there were no clotheslines.  As a result we had to buy a wooden clothes drying rack to put all our washing on.  It wasn’t huge and when drying things like sheets and towels it was a bit futile.  But after using it for the best part of five years in the apartment we moved to suburbia with a big hills hoist in the backyard and a bunch of lines under the house.  Despite this we have still dried the majority of our washing on the rack for the past two years.  But alas no more - it was getting pretty faded and one of the dowels had cracked, now finally the crossbar packed it in.  So as the title states, it is the end of an airer. I wonder whether this will now encourage us to use the proper washline or whether I will just replace it? 

It is a good thing that I use disposable nappies otherwise it would have been a bit of a challenge hanging on the little airer all those cloth nappies like I remember we had hanging from the hills hoist when we were kids.  We may be making one hell of a carbon footprint but it beats washing nappies.  We’ll just have to make up for it other ways.  Like maybe recycling all those empty wine bottles we seem to find just laying around?

IMG_1542

IMG_1472

IMG_1465

We had an afternoon of B&W photos the other day (light inside was bad and I just felt like it).  Nick had just come home from work (which is thankfully winding up for the year – just a few days more for him to get through) and the boys were rolling around in the hallway in anticipation of nudey streaker time of day. 

Nick tries to bath Ollie most nights which is wonderful for everyone involved.  Them obviously for the great time they have and me because it gives me a respite from picking the giant 11 kilo boy up (yes, that’s right, we have now cracked 11kg).  We don’t have a bathtub but we do have a massive big plastic tub that does the trick leaving plenty of room for the plastic cups (6), plastic boats (4) and rubber ducks (4). 

Ollie got into a bit of mischief and pulled some reading material out the other day.  You can see that his choices were between some nefarious publication called Playboy and One flew over the cuckoos nest.  Seems our boy prefers the classics.

Not everything has been so fun lately.  The other morning on our way out the door I somehow managed to shut two of Ollie’s fingers in the door.  Not just a little clip – I TOTALLY shut the door.  Once I heard his blood-curdling scream (as did the entire neighbourhood) I had to use my keys to unlock the door to get his poor squished little fingers out.  Not surprisingly there were a lot of big salty tears and sobs as I poured paracetamol down his mouth and kissed his hand while I shook like a leaf.  Thankfully he has bounced back and doesn’t seem troubled by his injury, nor has he learnt his lesson, as I have noticed him reaching for the hinge on the way out the door again.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor