Skip to main content

Ollie is 13: the birthday blog

 

You are officially a teenager.  The big ONE THREE has finally come around.  I know I say it every year but it truly does feel like just moments since you came into this big world.  In typical fashion, you are I want to tell you some of the things that I will always remember about you at this age:

- you were accepted into the academic excellence stream for high school and you not only kept your head above water, but finished your first year with an award for achieving five A's

- your interest in photography and film has grown and you are enjoying making material and posting it online - something that makes me so very proud

- your voice has gotten so deep.  You sound like a man, not the little boy I have grown used to talking to over all these years

- you have become involved in drama at school and it fits you like a glove.  You have appeared on stage a number of times now and you are fearless in your performances

- you got your first iphone.  This has become a constant source of frustration, with you incessantly checking whether you've got messages or watching things on your phone when you are meant to be doing other things (like listening to your parents!)

- you are a human garbage disposal, often finishing my meals off for me

- you have size 11 feet.  SIZE ELEVEN!!! 

- you have devoured a wide range of cinema across a lot of genres and you enjoy discussing all the finer details

- your love of salmon sashimi STILL runs strong.  It has become an expensive dining experience with you now that your appetite has doubled

- you drive your sister absolutely bonkers and appear to take great delight in doing so, but you also have a very close friendship with her

In the past thirteen years you have made this amazing transition from a tiny little baby boy to a fully fledged teenager.  The sweet baby who would stare into my eyes as I fed you.  Looking at me like I was your whole universe.  The one who tended to your every need.  The one who would comfort you through anything.  The one who agonised over your wonky shaped head and other woes.   The hours spent reading book after book to you each and every day, developing that love of reading that is still so strong.  Lazing in the sunshine together, playing "cups (Ollie loves cups)", singing nursery rhymes and playing games together, anything to hear that beautiful belly laugh of yours.  That first year was as if time stood still and we had this magical little bubble together.  I am so grateful we had it.

Toddler Ollie didn't look back, tearing off into the world at a million miles a minute.  You loved to dance and sing, with each week seeing us heading off to the library to get your musical and literary fix. You had to start sharing the limelight with the arrival of Eve, but you still managed to make sure the spotlight shone well and truly upon you. 

School boy Ollie made so many new friends, including a number of crushes on girls along the way.  But it was your relationships with your teachers that gave me the greatest joy, with you visiting your grade one teacher each day in grade two just to give her a cuddle. I was always so proud that, while you might have been lax with them sometimes at home, you always displayed beautiful manners at school.

The pre-teen years have given us a glimpse into the teenager that lays ahead, with stronger opinions and assertiveness starting to show.  But you used these for good, leading your school through a difficult year and navigating an equally tricky year behind the scenes.  You handled it all, demonstrating amazing character.

This year we have ridden many roller coasters. Both literally and figuratively.  It has definitely been our most challenging year so far.  You are very stubborn and you love a good argument.  You recognise that this may have been inherited from me and we both feel like we are arguing with ourselves sometimes.  It is ridiculously frustrating for both of us. 

Your shoulders are no longer those of a small boy, they are those of a young man.  Now that you are stronger than me, my threats of placing you in time out are completely redundant.  But the upside to this new strength is the hugs that you do give me are magnificent.  

The greatest hurdle this year has been a shift in the relationship between the two of us.  You have been given greater autonomy over the time we spend together.  This has seen us apart more than we have ever have. This has been heartbreaking for me as a mother, something I defined myself as for so many years.  Despite these new challenges, nothing has or ever will diminish the love I feel for the sweetest little boy I have ever known.  I am so unbelievably proud of the young man you are becoming. 

You were the one who made me a mother.  Your mother.  Nothing will ever change that.  I just hope that one day the invisible thread that connects us will bring you back to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor