Skip to main content

Back to reality

You would have to be living under a rock to have escaped the recent events in our town. Luckily for us we were nowhere near the action thanks to our move to the bay, however our old area was hit pretty hard with lots of people's houses being seriously damaged. It felt quite strange watching it unfold on TV from the comfort of our loungeroom while the gorgeous sunlight filtered in, while almost all of our friends at least suffered the inconvenience of doing without power for a day or two.

Nick went and put a great effort in helping to clean up in our old area, relishing the combination of two of his great loves (cleaning AND destruction) helping out strangers to gut their flooded houses. There was no such hard labour for me but in tough times I bake so many many muffins and cases of water were dropped off to the volunteers station. It was so nice to see so many people pitching in to do whatever they could to lend a hand.

Here is a pic of Nick's filthy legs after he came home. This is after he had already cleaned up somewhat. I don't even want to imagine what was lurking in the mud he was wading through.



The upside to the awful flood situation is that we got a few extra days spent at home as a family. Nick and I had only been back at work for a day and a half this year before it happened so it was just like an extended holiday in some respects (apologies to all those people for whom it was most definitely NOT a holiday). The timing was quite good in the sense that Pa Chris and Nanna Kaye were in town as well so it gave us some extra time with them.

Ollie just loves having Chris and Kaye around and especially loved them taking him on their early morning walks (complete with a stop at the playground) as well as picking him up from daycare nice and early each day so they could all come back here and have swims. He was quite sad to see them go and keeps talking about them.

Doesn't he just look like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth?

One morning this week I woke just before 5am to a strange noise. I ignored it for about 10 minutes before going into Ollie's room to see him kneeling beside his bed in the relative darkness shining his moo cow torch onto a book he was reading. It would have been a foolproof plan for him if only his torch didn't emit a "mooooo" sound when he turned it on. Very cute but I've since confiscated the torch otherwise I suspect I would soon find him there closer to midnight reading.

Ollie's language skills are pretty impressive at the moment. We have some real conversations now and he can tell us about his day at day care which is a bit lovely (and also useful when he had a scratch on his face which the carers couldn't say how he got, but Ollie could "Eva scratched Ollie" - don't worry, Eva is another toddler not a carer!) I haven't really been paying too much attention to how many words he can string together but the other day I was totally impressed when he turned to me and said "Mummy, leave my ice-cream alone". Perhaps doesn't paint me in the best light but still, good work Ollie.

He has also been telling us that he is a good boy a lot which is nice to hear. He also tells us he is beautiful and sometime both - "I a beautiful good boy". The other day I told him that he was beautiful and he turned to me and said "no, you're beautiful". I don't think he meant it to be a compliment as such but it was very funny and I'll take compliments in whatever form they take.

On Sunday we had a visit from Sam, Alan, baby Henry and Audrey. Ollie and Audrey have quite a special little bond and he had spent the whole day talking about his "friend Gurdrey" who was coming over. We all went down to the water for a play at the beach and park followed by a delicious fish and chip dinner. Ollie and Audrey exhausted themselves tearing around on the sand, in fact the only thing that slowed Ollie down was when Nick buried his little legs in the sand. Peace for about one minute! After a very splashy bath together we farewelled Gurdrey and I imagine the two of them slept very well indeed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor