Skip to main content

A Christian affair


This week saw the double whammy celebration of baby Henry's 1st birthday and christening. I think it actually might have been heathen Ollie's first visit to church in over two years. Nick and I had some concerns that he may start melting upon entering the church doors but turns out he was alright. Alright, but definitely not on his best behaviour. Within two minutes of being in the church Nick was chasing Ollie up to the altar to retrieve him from under the table thingy (alright so I'm a bit of a heathen too) and getting in trouble for eating the snacks I'd prepared to keep him quiet during the ceremony (who knew you couldn't eat in church?). So quiet he was not. But fortunately there were a bunch of kids and all seemed to have forgotten their church manners so it wasn't like Obear was the naughtiest one there. Actually he managed to even stay relatively quiet when he came up to the microphone with Nick and I while we did a reading. I'd had all kinds of anxieties about him leaning into the microphone and saying "mummy I need to do a poo" - trust me it could happen.

But all went well and after a significant dousing (I think because he was being a bit cheeky at the beginning and the priest thought maybe he needed a bit extra) Henry found himself welcomed into the Catholic faith. Thankfully this all took only about 15 minutes and before you knew it we were out the doors and on the way to Henry's birthday party (but not before Ollie managed to dunk his hands into the holy water - and surprisingly it didn't burn him!)

Here is the birthday boy with his mum, dad and godparents.

The party itself was great, especially for Obear who helped Henry open his presents, joined other kids in shrieking at balloons and was very helpful to Nick when he put Henry's present together. He also consumed more cake, chocolate and apple juice than I would normally let him consume, but isn't that what birthday parties are all about?

And after running around like a goose and eating cake and chocolate how does one little boy end up? Very very tired! This might also have something to do with the miserable sleep he had the night before. I was up to him about four times and on the final one I decided to do something I absolutely never do - bring him back to our bed. It wasn't a particularly restful sleep for either of us after that. So we were both shattered before we even began the day. Last night saw a similar night but with everyone staying in their own beds. The big problem I've got is that I'm actually already awake before Ollie wakes up and then I can't get back to sleep afterwards. So I'm only getting about 5 hours sleep each night. And if one more person tells me it is my body's way of getting me used to little sleep with a newborn I'll ... well this is a family blog so I'd better not say. Fingers crossed we can both get some more sleep tonight. I've promised him he can have a book about Buzz Lightyear tomorrow if he gets through the whole night without calling out to me. Something tells me I won't be scouring the bookstores for it tomorrow. Seems like a pretty safe bet in my favour, unfortunately.

Slummy mummy moment of the week? We were all in the car when I realised I'd forgotten something. Out comes the word "crap" which Ollie immediately repeats about 4 times, including the creative modification to "crappy". Oh well, could have been worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor