Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day

Well I have now been lucky enough to have three mother's days and they seem to get even more fun as Ollie gets older and is able to understand the concept a little bit.

This year it started off with a lovely morning tea at Ollie's daycare on Friday. There were lots of mummy/Ollie activities for us to get involved in but my favourite had to be making me a beautiful coloured pasta necklace. I may have had to finish it off myself when his interest waned but that didn't make it any less special. I actually have been wearing it quite a bit however had to finally take it off on Monday after I kept finding broken sharp bits of pasta in my shirt.
We also embraced our own mother's day craft at home, making some lovely photo frames for Nanna Carmel & Nanna Freddy to give them over the weekend. Obear was much more enthusiastic about this task, possibly too enthusiastic as the painting wasn't restricted to the intended area. Thank goodness for water based paints.
On the actual day we had lovely pancakes for breakfast made by Nick and devoured by all of us and then later that afternoon we also got to celebrate the occasion with Nanna Carmel and all of the Brisbane based Aunties and Uncles. We couldn't resist another bayside fish and chip dinner, although next time we will have to rug up a bit more as the temperatures here drop and the sun goes to bed earlier all the time. Brrr.

Probably my favourite bit about mother's day wasn't even related to the actual day but took place a few days prior. Obear was being a bit of a naughty monkey while we were cleaning his teeth and kept kicking the cupboard under the sink despite my repeated requests not to. I'm all about bribing/rewarding/nicely threatening him at the moment so I told him that if he kept doing it he would not get any stories read to him before bed. Surprise surprise, he did it again. So you guessed it, no stories before bed. He was pretty upset about it at first but then seemed resigned to his fate and settled down to go to bed sans stories. But the reason this was my favourite bit was that he declared while he was in bed "next time I'll listen to mummy". Seriously. How good is that? I totally have way more credibility now in the threatening punishment stakes.
Over the weekend we also got to see Nanna Freddy and Poppy Mick which is always a thrill for Obear, especially since I told him that Poppy was a cowboy just like Woody from Toy Story. I'm not totally sure if he is convinced by this but he seems reasonably happy to go along with it and talks about Poppy being with the cows all the time.

While visiting them in town we got to check out this amazing display of stuff related to the Cars movie which Ollie has seen (he is such a movie buff now - just like his dad), so he got a real buzz out of it. He also got a bit of a thrill out of a wonderful present from Poppy of a super cool train table. It now has pride of place at Camp Ollie & Evie and if his initial reactions to it are any indication, it should buy me some quiet time in the afternoons once we have a new baby to look after.

We even got the chance to show off the train table on the first afternoon to our friends Jen and Baby Lucy who came over for a coffee after arriving from Cloncurry. Ollie was quite adorably gentle with Lucy (well most of the time) and anytime she cried he would get her different toys "to make her happy". I hope this is a sign of how he will go as a big brother - he definitely has a lovely sensitive and gentle side - although it gets lost a little sometimes as he throws himself off the couches onto giant piles of cushions while shouting "I'm super Ollie". Such a little boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor