Skip to main content

It's all about the dough

There has been a fair bit of bread around this house in the last few days thanks to my belated mother's day/credit card point redeeming purchase of a breadmaker. I've been looking into it for quite a while so I'm over the moon to finally be able to bake my own bread with the greatest of ease. I'd love to have a photo to show you some of my efforts but they keep getting gobbled up. It probably isn't conducive to a low carb diet (not that pregnant ladies should be holding out on carbs, or chocolate, or danish, or brownies...) but it fits in well with my gradual efforts to try to make more things at home in an effort to limit the amount of processed foods we consume - which was fairly limited anyway. So far I'm making yoghurt each week (truly yummo), now bread and I've tried muesli bars with limited success but continued enthusiasm. Next on the list is to bottle some delicious pasta sauces using up the overwhelming supply of basil and oregano I have growing in the herb garden. Luckily for me I have time on my side and in just a matter of weeks I will have even more on my hands. Stay tuned for more Suzie Homemaker efforts!

It was while shopping for our breadmaker that Nick picked up the toy catalogue at Myer to distract Ollie who was getting a bit bored in his pram. It certainly did the trick with Obear staring intently at it for the rest of our shopping trip. It even came home with us and is still being seriously studied by the little dude. He keeps talking about the "magazine" we bought him at the shops. Here is Ollie and Nick poring over it together on the weekend.


My favourite loaf of bread so far (chocolate and nut bread - yummo) came with us for our lovely Sunday outing - a surprise visit to celebrate Sam's birthday with a lovely picnic in her backyard. It was an absolutely beautiful day which caused us to comment that it isn't really until/unless you have little people that you embrace the great outdoors and find yourselves having lots of lovely picnics while the little people tear around like hooligans. Probably because pre-kids you are still laying hungover in your bed blissfully sleeping past 6am. Ah the good old days.

Fortunately for all of us, Sam and Alan have a backyard that rivals most parks in terms of size and play equipment so Ollie, Audrey and Henry had a wonderful time climbing on the play fort, jumping on the new trampoline and strangely enough, collecting sticks! Nick set the littlies the task of picking up the oddly plentiful, but unexplained number of sticks on the ground. Ollie pushed them around in the wheelbarrow he commandeered and Audrey came up with the fantastic suggestion of using them to build a 'campfire' (where she came up with that suggestion is beyond us all - another example of American television rubbing off on our kids). Nick showed off his boy scout skills in construction of the fire and was pretty proud of his efforts until Ollie realised the only thing better than building a campfire is running over a campfire with your wheelbarrow.


Thank goodness Nick wasn't too upset after the destruction and he was still able to chase around after the little people as I found it preferable to park my ever increasing girth on the picnic rug and sample the delights on offer. Chasing Ollie around is becoming a more difficult exercise every day now. I can't imagine all the shenanigans he will be able to get up to in ten weeks time when I can't even prise myself off the couch.


Another shining example of the difference between boys and girls? Audrey was blowing some beautiful big bubbles which Ollie also was enjoying but it wasn't long until the testosterone took over and it occurred to him that a more effective way of popping them was to get a great big cricket bat and smash each and every one of them. Hmmm.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor