Skip to main content

Ollie is 11: The birthday blog



Another year has flown by and somehow you are eleven.  Your life has now spanned across three different decades.  Crazy.  So let me tell you some of the things that I will remember about you at this age.

-        You love reheated food for breakfast – pizza, sausages, any kind of leftovers.  We call it your University breakfast.
-        You played your third season of AFL.  This year you faced the challenge of moving up to a full sized field but still had the best time playing along with your mates.
-        You have started to read Stephen King books.  You’ve been asking for years but finally we relented and eased you in with some more tame ones.  You are onto your third one now and somehow we’ve only had one nightmare so far.
-        You wear the same size clothes as me.  A size 10 shirt in our house could end up in anyone’s washing pile and I have found you wearing my t-shirts around without even knowing it.
-        You received an academic medal for the second year in a row, meaning five or more As on your report card (it was actually six).  You’ve had a teacher who really challenged you this year and saw through your crap. You butted heads a bit but I know she expects great things from you.   There is not enough wine that I could give her.
-        You absolutely despise swimming lessons. Each week you fake an injury in an effort to get out of going.  You spend the whole drive there wishing out loud that a baby will poop in the pool so your lesson will be cancelled.  But when you get there you absolutely smash out your laps for the hour and love it.  
-        You stayed awake past midnight on New Years with your friends.  You were so excited that nothing would have stopped you from making the countdown, but you were super shattered the next day and kept asking if you could finally try drinking coffee.
-        You want a dog.  So much.  You wrote a three page persuasive argument highlighting the benefits of dog ownership.  It was so good that it nearly worked.
-        You are still so loud.  I keep wishing you had a mute button. 
-        You’ve taken to wearing sleeveless shirts, aviator sunglasses and slightly coiffed hair.  You look a bit cool and you know it.
-        Nick has been showing you how to DJ a little bit and you love it so much.  Every single day you are asking if you can get on the decks.
-        You had a story published in a book.  It wasn’t half bad either.  We are super proud of you but the constant ribbing about being a “published author, something many grown ups will never achieve, at 10” is starting to wear a little thin.
-        Your taste in food has widened with you loving a nice curry or a tiny bit of spice.  Sashimi addiction is still real but you’ve been willing to keep trying natural oysters, although you’ve not enjoyed one yet, you still persist.
-        Deodorant.  It’s a real thing now.   
-        We finally relented and let you play Call of Duty on Xbox (for like 30 minutes).  I got a total kick out of you realising that I’m not awful at it and that your love of gaming might run from my side.
-        You stood up in front of a whole hall full of people and delivered a speech.  You were nervous but you absolutely killed it.
-        Your love of film is coming along nicely with Nick sharing some more of the classics with you.  You are also enjoying making films and animations of your own, with you plotting your YouTube channel with millions of subscribers.

You were once a tiny little baby who relied upon me for every single thing.  I could barely get away from you for a few minutes to even take a shower.  I was the most important person in your universe and no one else could even compare to your Mummy.  Our days were filled with cuddles, singing songs and reading books with me beside you as you achieved each and every milestone.   Now you are this giant boy who won’t let me hold his hand in public, gives a serious contemptuous eye roll and wears the same sized shoe as me.  The years have flown by and so much of your days aren’t shared with me but your friends and your teachers.  My questions of how was your day don’t elicit the same excited responses as when I’d pick you up from kindy.  But I am seeing a beautiful young man that you are becoming and (most of the time) I am incredibly proud to be called your Mumma.  I know you may not need me for all the little things anymore but I have to admit my heart absolutely bursts at the seams when you forget about being the cool boy and take a few minutes to cuddle up with me on the couch (even if you are nearly as long as me!). I hope that as the years keep passing by that we will always take these occasional but lovely moments together.

I love you my Ollie Bear. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor