Skip to main content

Ollie is 12: the birthday blog



A twelve year old? Are you serious? I couldn't have imagined a dozen years would fly by in the blink of an eye but somehow it has.  While I ponder how this could have possibly happened let me tell you some of the things I will always remember about Ollie at this age.

- School captain.  Not sure I could be more proud.  From the time he was a little preppie he always looked at the captains and told me he would be like them one day. I should never have doubted his determination.  He delivered a killer speech, handed out a few badges and worked that gorgeous cheesy grin into election.  
- He stinks!  If he skips deodorant in the morning you certainly know about it.  I can't fathom how much he pongs.  But he has also learned the value in smells and loves a good EDT.
- He played another season of AFL with his mates.  Definitely not the usual full season but he hit his 50 games and his mates absolutely destroyed him with their water bottles.  
- He missed out on so much this year.  For years he had been looking forward to his Canberra trip and to have it taken away due to Covid restrictions was just cruel.  But he took it in his stride and didn't whinge TOO much.
- He has progressed in his reading of Stephen King to "The Shining".  I read this book at 22 and could only cope with it when Nick was in the house. Are we crazy?
- His hair has taken on a life of it's own.  It's probably best described as an under cut with a long bit on top but he has personified the top bits with the names Jeff and Bruce.
- He still has his favourite cuddle toy.  I'm not saying he "needs" Stanley but he sure does enjoy his company.
- He graduated but more importantly he led.  The speeches he gave to his peers were beyond his years.  He called them to attention on the last day at school as he raised the school chant surrounded by a circle of his entire grade.  
- He squabbles with his sister way too much. He thinks he is the boss of her. She thinks she is the boss of him.  You can see where our troubles lie. 
- He was in the musical at school.  He studied his lines so much in the lead up to auditions and managed to snag "first monkey".  He had the crowd in absolute hysterics on opening night when he adlibbed jokes about getting bananas from Woolworths. But he made us all so proud when he went off stage to retrieve a mate who was suffering from stage fright. 
- He has recently taken to calling his sister "kid" or "child". It's hideously patronising but also a bit cute too.
- He has grown an incredible bromance with his little cousin Oscar.  The love is so strong between them and I can't wait to see them growing up together. 
- He still wants to be an actor or a director and his love and knowledge of movies grows stronger thanks to Nick. 
- He has a girlfriend!!  He didn't want to tell us but we were all over it before then thanks to lots of casual comments by him.  She's a bit cute and when she gets a phone next year maybe they can have a chat!
- He joined the roller skating cult.  In the last year Eve and I have both gotten skates and it has been absolutely amazing.  Ollie has resisted a little but when gifted skates it was quite clear that he was just waiting in the wings to join our gang.
- He got in on the Santa conspiracy.  This is the first year he hasn't believed which has absolutely broken my heart.  But i couldn't be more proud of him for making the magic real for his sister. . Even if he has used it to his advantage by suggesting that the fairies should leave LEGO minifigs each night. 
- He is gradually gaining independence. He got a big boy bike for Christmas to ride to school this year. I'm so excited for him but also terrified that he will finally have to cross the road by himself!

In a year when his whole world was turned upside down he has somehow still managed to get straight A's. He never fails to impress me with his manners, kindness and compassion for others (apart from his sister). 

He has never challenged me more.  He resents me for each and every thing that I've done and my pleas to him that I'm cool fall on deaf ears.

My Ollie Bear, as your shoulders grow broader each day and your voice grows deeper, I am reminded that you are never going to be that sweet little baby boy they laid on my chest twelve years ago at 7:33 am.  I have never slept a completely restful night's sleep since then. You have ruined and made me simultaneously.  We clash often because you are the same as me.  Stubborn. Headstrong. Lover of dumplings. With a cheeky smile.  

I couldn't be more thrilled about the man you are becoming.  

Nothing you do will ever stop me from loving you.

xx  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food, friends and footy.

This week Ollie and I had a special visitor all the way from Cloncurry - our friend Jesse. Jesse came to play at Camp Ollie for a few hours while his mum had some very well deserved shopping time. Ollie and Jesse played lots of fun games like cups and Jesse was very helpful to me during the afternoon. Another exciting event this week was Nick and my third wedding anniversary. To celebrate we went to the lovely E'cco restaurant on Saturday night, thanks to Aunty Em who stayed over at our place to look after Ollie. Thankfully Ollie was on his best behaviour, as opposed to some of the other nights recently that have seen me popping into his room a number of times in the early hours of the morning. Ollie got to see his Aunty Em again the next day when we went over to the McNaughton/Dower home to celebrate Aunty Hayley's birthday and to catch up with Uncle Luke. Hayley cooked the wonderful family birthday tradition of Flat Meat (hard to describe but kind of like a thinner sc

Movieworld!

I told you last week that we had been busy having lots of fun around here and another of our fun activities (this time while Nanna Freddy was here) was a trip to Movieworld. But as I'm currently heat pressing fifty odd t-shirts for this weekend's big market, I am only able to make it to the computer in 40 second stints.  It isn't that I'm worried about scorching the shirts, but the heat press has this dreadful tinky asian sounding song as the alarm on the timer and it really grates on my soul!  And as I'm sure you can agree that there isn't a whole lot I can write in the time it takes me to run between the computer and the press (this paragraph has taken me five t-shirts!), this blog is going to be mainly pictures. Ol loved the characters. But not as much as the rides.  He went on about 16.  Seriously. He wasn't a fan of the car driving ones as he just couldn't make them work properly.  His dodgem effort was basically just driving aro

Eve is 11: the birthday blog

  To my beautiful eleven year old daughter. Another year has flown by and you are another year older in the blink of an eye. Let me share some of the things I will always remember about you at this age. - You got a phone. Probably one of the biggest changes this year. Like all young people, you see it as an extension of your hand and you need to be reminded to get off it quite a lot. - You fronted up for another season of netball, despite your protestations. It is so lovely to see you out on the court supporting your team mates. - You are seriously addicted to Roblox. Like seriously! You could happily spend hours playing with your friends on there, or even side by side if you’re hanging out together. - You humour is wicked and sometimes savage. Your timing is ridiculously on point sometimes. - You’re not to old or too cool to play with your dolls. Sometimes they still get dusted off and dressed up. There have even been a few haircuts for some of them. - You love listening to audio stor